Treating Periodontal Disease in Birmingham, AL
Oral Cancer Screenings
In the United States alone, one adult dies every hour from oral cancers. When oral cancers are identified in initial stages, treatment can begin more quickly. In initial stages, treatment has a higher rate of success and is less invasive. In more advanced stages, oral cancers are more likely to have spread to other areas and need complex treatment.
Dr. Maddux recommends having an oral cancer screening at least once each year. Regular screenings can help ensure early detection of any potential cancers. If a suspicious lesion is found, many times Dr. Maddux will biopsy it and send it off for an oral pathology review.
How It Works
During your oral cancer screening, Dr. Maddux will check for any abnormalities. He will closely examine your mouth, throat, lips, gums, and tongue. Let him know about any potential symptoms you have experienced, including:
- Pain or difficulty with speaking, swallowing, or moving your jaw or tongue
- A sensation that something is caught in the back of your throat
- Sore throat with no other sinus symptoms
- Lumps or swellings in or around your mouth
- Drastic weight loss
- White or red patches in your mouth
- Mouth sores that do not heal
- Unexplained ear pain
- Unexplained bleeding in your mouth